In common with Augusta, Lilley Brook is an Alister MacKenzie designed mature golf course. Set in over 100 acres of beautiful parkland on the lower slopes of Leckhampton Hill.
Prior to World War I, there were two golf clubs in Cheltenham both playing the same course on the lower slopes of Cleeve Hill. They were Cheltenham Town Golf Club, now Cotswold Hills, the other Cheltenham Golf Club.
In 1921 Cheltenham Golf Club leased 132 acres of land to the south of Cheltenham, including Lilleybrook Lodge. The Lilley Brook Golf Club was named after the tributary of the River Chelt which flows close by.
Dr Alister MacKenzie, the golf architect who designed Augusta National with Mr Bobby Jones, designed the course. In 1922 an Open Champion, Mr Arthur Havers, officially opened the course with a round of golf. Lilley Brook is the only Mackenzie designed golf course in Gloucestershire.
Arthur Havers receiving the 1923 Open Claret Jug and Medal at Troon
In 1964, as the original lease was nearing its end, the Club purchased the land and Lodge for £18,000 to include 27 acres to the south of the area known as “40 acres” which is now the site of the 15th and 16th holes. In 1967 the Club obtained the “Drifts”, which is the 5th and 6th holes. This enabled the re-design of the course to its current layout that was completed in 1969 together with a new clubhouse, designed by Mr Roger Dyer. In 1973 hundreds of trees were planted on the course under the supervison of the then professional Mr Forbes Hadden.
Lilley Brook is a friendly private members’ club run by a Board of Directors coupled with small sub-committees. The Board of directors consists of a Chairman, Vice Chairman, Treasurer and two further directors. The club has an Honorary President, Captain and Lady Captain
- Arthur Havers 1922
- Dai Rees 1947
- Charlie Ward 1947
- Max Faulkner 1950
- Peter Alliss 1955
- Tony Jacklin 1974
- Des Smyth 2009
- Roger Chapman 2009
- Carl Mason 2009